Wednesday, August 22, 2007

When Potty Training Boys - Look for these signs of readiness

I came across an interesting article in Seacoastonline.com that gave a nice list of things to look for when potty training boys.

The list was such a good list - I just wanted to give it to you hear as I saw it:

Physical signs:

* Remains dry for at least two hours at a time during the day.
* Dry after nap time.
* Regular and predictable bowel movements. (Some children move their bowels two to three times a day, others may go two to three days without a bowel movement.)
* Has learned to walk and possibly run.

Behavioral signs:

* Seems uncomfortable with soiled or wet diapers.
* Seems interested in the toilet or potty chair.
* Has asked to wear "grown-up" underwear.
* Able to sit down and play quietly for about five minutes.
* Able to help dress and undress self.

Cognitive signs:

* Wants to put toys and other possessions where they belong.
* Able to understand and follow simple directions.
* Takes pride in accomplishments.
* Not in a period of negativism.
* Aware of the process of elimination and the physical signs that it is time to go.
* Understands and uses words for elimination.

If you’re wondering if you should start potty training - this is a good way to tell if your child is ready. I’ve said before - when potty training boys it’s best not to start to early - if the child is not ready, it’s not going to go well. This list should give you a good idea!

HarpersDad

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please stop spamming dotnetkicks.com

Unknown said...

I just found your site...ok by you coming to mine...and I think I'm going to pay alot of attention to what you do about making $100 in 100 days, that's the site I really love!
I have a post on my site related to this one, actually it's part one of a two part post about potty training in general. Look for part two soon...and I may have a boy soon to start thinking about training, we'll know in a few weeks!